Friday, May 15, 2015

The Frog

                                                       The Frog







She knelt
upon
a rock
by the fall
Where a cool clear pool of water
waited,
temporarily strangled
from it's natural
flow.
And she smiled,
 then giggled and
pulled her golden locks
 around the
side of her head

I watched her
and listened,
 and smiled...
What, I wondered, did she see
 that was,
 to her,
so entertaining?

Perhaps it was a bullfrog...
one with
bulging eyes
and freckled green skin.
       

   Did she imagine it was a prince?!

Or maybe a baby fish
caught her eye.
Did she laugh
when it circled the tiny pool
and then leaped
 to freedom in the stream?

I walked to the rock behind her,
and went unnoticed.
 It pleasured me to think
that soon
I would share her fancy!

But I saw no frog,
or fish
bubbling from the tiny pool.

Only the reflection of her face.

And the smile left me,
as I turned
to walk away,
Leaving her there
to relish
in her selfish glory..

No comments:

Post a Comment